Rapist chased down street by victim after attack jailed for seven years

High Court in Edinburgh
High Court in Edinburgh (Image: Google Street View)

A rapist who was chased by his victim after he attacked her in an Aberdeen street has been jailed for seven years.

Mohammed Abdullah targeted the 18-year-old woman after she left a nightclub.
The High Court in Edinburgh heard last month how the 19-year-old seized her by the wrists and restrained her before raping her.

Jurors were shown CCTV footage in which they could hear a woman screaming.

They were also shown video footage of the victim adjusting her clothing moments after the attack, and going on to chase Abdullah.

Abdullah had denied any wrongdoing but was found guilty of rape after a trial.

As well as the seven-year jail term, Abdullah was also added to the sex offenders’ register for life when he was sentenced.

Lord Ericht said he had taken the sentencing guidelines on young people into consideration in deciding the punishment, and noted Abdullah had no previous convictions.

The judge said: “Your victim was unknown to you.

“You were hanging about, late at night, outside a nightclub. After your victim left the nightclub, you raped her in the street.”

The incident occurred in Bon Accord Street on 17 August 2021.

Jurors heard how the woman met Abdullah shortly after leaving the club and “appeared to be unsteady on her feet”.

CCTV captured Abdullah entering a boarding house with his victim. The woman could be heard saying: “I have never been to this place before.”

She then walked back out, and said: “Where is my bank card?”

Outside the property, she was recorded saying “no” repeatedly and mentioned her boyfriend.

Abdullah fled the scene following the attack but was tracked down by officers.

After seizing his mobile phone, police recovered footage of young women dancing in the street outside a nightclub.

Read more from Sky News:
Rapist given lighter sentence due to his ‘immaturity’
Man who raped and burned woman alive given lighter sentence

When officers detained Abdullah, they found he couldn’t speak English and had to communicate through an online interpreter before arresting him.

He also sat in court with an interpreter, who helped him understand the evidence given to the jury.

The court heard how Abdullah had moved from Sudan to Scotland in the hope of securing a “better life”.

Defence solicitor advocate Paul Mullen said: “He is a very young man who has come to these shores via a very circuitous route in the hope of setting up for himself a better life.

“He has never been on remand before. He is isolated.

“He’s had very little contact with his family in Sudan. He’s however been receiving visits from guardianship services.”

Source:  Sky News news.sky.com

About World Justice News 4212 Articles
Brings you breaking crime news and other interesting crime stories from around the world.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply